Entering Jurassic Park is an experience straight out of the movie. The iconic park sign with flickering torches towers above and the unmistakable theme song envelopes you as you step though into a world out of time. This is the largest of the islands in Islands of Adventure, covering 21 acres.
This island is created with authenticity in mind. The plant life was specially selected to resemble prehistoric trees and ferns from the Jurassic period. The rustic rope fences along the walkways are only the first line of defense. Further back in the foliage you can see the electrified fences that separate you from the dinosaurs. If you have any doubt that you're surrounded by prehistoric wildlife, just take a moment to listen. You'll hear the distinct trumpeting calls of dinosaurs echoing from the dense vegetation.
Everywhere you look you'll see dinosaur-themed elements that are accurate to what you would expect from John Hammond's theme park. This is surely what he hoped that it would be. The trash cans feature peaceful dinosaur silhouettes parading around them. The streets have the imprints of ferns and leaves. Even the light fixtures feature three-toed dinosaur claws around each orb. If you ever wanted to step into the movie and see Jurassic Park the way Hammond hoped it would be, this island is as close as you'll ever get.
|Fern imprints on the streets|
|Dinosaurs adorning the trash cans|
|Jurassic Park Discover Center as seen from across the lagoon|
Photo OpsJurassic Park is filled with exciting photo opportunities, from dinosaurs and vehicles you'll easily recognize from the films, to panoramic views of other areas in the park. The T-Rex in particular is a very special photo opportunity. Here you'll find a new type of photo technology that allows you to include your whole party in one perfectly framed photo, without relying on the dubious skills of a friendly-looking stranger. Scan your park ticket, wait for the red numbers to count down, and pose for your picture. You can check out the photo at the front of the park on your way out.
|Spinosaurus photo op|
You'll find a less technologically advanced photo op near the DinoStore, where the Spinosaurus from Jurassic Park III is poised above another JP jeep. If you're interested in posing by a jeep sans dinosaur, there's a much less crowded photo op for you down the path beside the Watering Hole. Additional dinosaurs can be found inside the Jurassic Park Discovery Center.
- Jurassic Park River Adventure: Thrilling water ride; 42" height requirement
- Pteranodon Flyers: Suspended aerial ride circling Camp Jurassic; guests must be between 36" and 56" tall, guests over 56" must be accompanied by a child
- Camp Jurassic: Outdoor play area for children
- Jurassic Park Discovery Center: Indoor play and exploration area
- Triceratops Encounter: Walk-though dinosaur encounter; only opens seasonally
Though there aren't any straight-from-the-movie characters in Jurassic Park, you can spot a dinosaur caretaker in the streets with a baby dinosaur from time to time. Keep your eyes open for this rare find.
Dining and Snack Stands
|Inside Thunder Falls Terrace|
- The Burger Digs: Burgers and chicken; counter service; indoor dining room
- Pizza Predattoria: Pizza and meatball subs; counter service; outdoor tables
- Thunder Falls Terrace: Rotisserie chicken, ribs, and salads; cafeteria-style; indoor dining room
- The Watering Hole: Nathan's hot dogs, wings, and nachos; counter service; outdoor tables
Snack stand offerings:
- The Food Chain: Ice cream and churros
- Natural Selections: Fresh fruit and churros
- Jurassic Park Hot Dogs: Hot dogs
- Jurassic Park Popcorn: Popcorn, churros, ice cream
Gift shops include:
- Dinostore: In the Jurassic Park Discovery Center; features amber jewelry and fine sculptures
- Jurassic Outfitters: At the exit to the Jurassic Park River Adventure; emphasizes toys, tees, and movie merch
Along the streets in Jurassic Park, you'll also find:
- Temporary tattoos and braids by Pizza Predattoria
- Leather bracelets and jewelry by Pizza Predattoria
- Between the splash area beside Jurassic Park River Adventure and Thunder Falls Terrace(look for the area where the boats descend from the building and splash onto the river)
- Across from the Burger Digs
- Near the waterfront side of the Jurassic Park Discovery Center (take the path around by the Watering Hole and follow it past the jeep and off to the right)
- Between the splash zone and the exit for Jurassic Park River Adventure
- Beside Pizza Predattoria